Le Mont Saint-Michel is a small town built onto a tiny island off the coast of southern Normandy. It is one of France's most notable destinations. Oftentimes, tourists will take a bus all the way from Paris as a day trip.

Le Jardin du Trèfle, my first and only French farm on this trip, was located about an hour's drive away. Pierre my host was happy to come with me, as he likes to visit at least a few times a year. We parked the car halfway there, and biked for the rest of the journey. It's incredibly surreal to see the island come into view in the distance. It feels like something out of a fantasy.

Also, something that I learned later: Mont Saint-Michel served as the visual inspiration for the design of Minas Tirith in Lord of the Rings. 

Pretty much the rest of this post will be photos. So enjoy!


We went when the tide was shifting from low to high. The surrounding area was wet and sandy and it was beautiful to see the designs that the water made.

On the very top/center of the island is the abbey, which was essentially where life on the island started. The highest point on the island, at the tip of the tower is a golden statue of Archangel Michael.

I decided to walk around the outside of the city walls, against the advice of warning signs along the way. And that proved to be a pretty foolish decision because I got stuck in the wet cement-like sand. I was wearing white sneakers. And the tide was coming in. Fast. I thought I was going to die there. But I didn't, and I got some quality photos.

At the moment, I'm at my farm outside of Rome. My blog posts are still playing catch-up, so next post will be about my farm in Sardegna, then hopefully we'll be back in the present! :)